How it all started.....

My two oldest daughters asked their dad if they could take meatgoats in 4-H. This is the man who told me soon after we were married that I could bring home all the animals I wanted to the farm as long as I didn't bring home any goats. He loves his dog, cattle, and horses.

Instead of directly saying "no", he told them to figure a breakeven on them, and if they did that he would support them. Let's just say he was surprised to come home and see the girl's "breakeven". They had spent the day hounding the managers at tractor supply and coop to get all their info. He is a man of his word, so two female goats came to live on the James farm.

Now these goats weren't supposed to be bred, but as it happens sometimes, one kidded out just before fair, and she was so cute I just lost my mind and we purchased another 26 does. Of course I justified my purchase as being necessary for me to be a good Kansas Agriculture Extension agent. In Kansas we were getting several questions regarding meatgoats, and I figured if I raised them myself I would become more knowledgable about the process and be of more help to others. I think my husband knew I just liked them though.

We have continued to expand, and we now own 60 does, 3 billies. I am in the process of kidding out 50 of the does now. You would think I would know better than to have them due in January, but unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention to the calendar when I placed the billies in with the does.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January 11, 2010

We are in the process of checking the does 2-3 times each night. We check them just before bed 10:30 p.m., then around 2:00 a.m., and again at 5:00 a.m. Last week the temperatures were around -20 degrees wind chill. Too cold to be having baby goats. I kept hoping the does would hold out and they did thank goodness. They are really showing their pregnancy now, which if you haven't been around goats before, you might not realize it is hard to tell who is pregnant early on because they tend to have large stomachs anyway. At least my boer goats do.

I was raised on a dairy farm and beef farm, so kidding out goats was new to me. In order to have the best results, it is best to pen them up in a small "jug" of a pen for 3 days in order to be sure the babies and moms are all well aquainted with each other before re-entering the herd. These does can have between 1 and 4 babies, and sometimes if they aren't jugged up, the mom will only claim 1 kid, and neglect the others.

The other challenge is they don't always give much notice prior to kidding. With the cold temperatures in Kansas, if they kid outside in the wind, there is a good chance the kids will freeze and die. This leads to a sad home at the James farm. My husband has recently built me a small pole barn that is tinned on 3 sides and faces south. He has also built me some kidding pens and a small room with a heater to help warm up any of the babies born in too cold of weather. He is a wonderful husband! (It is also his way of insuring none of the babies end up spending the evening in his bathroom up in the house.)

2 comments:

  1. The girls and I are excited to get up to date news on the herd and how it effects your family...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a smart Man and a quick study figured out that little potty was a warming room! I am sending your site on to Alice and Cash. They will read every day to keep up on your lastest posting! And I think they would really enjoy your new barn as well.

    ReplyDelete