How it all started.....

My two oldest daughters asked their dad if they could take meatgoats in 4-H. This is the man who told me soon after we were married that I could bring home all the animals I wanted to the farm as long as I didn't bring home any goats. He loves his dog, cattle, and horses.

Instead of directly saying "no", he told them to figure a breakeven on them, and if they did that he would support them. Let's just say he was surprised to come home and see the girl's "breakeven". They had spent the day hounding the managers at tractor supply and coop to get all their info. He is a man of his word, so two female goats came to live on the James farm.

Now these goats weren't supposed to be bred, but as it happens sometimes, one kidded out just before fair, and she was so cute I just lost my mind and we purchased another 26 does. Of course I justified my purchase as being necessary for me to be a good Kansas Agriculture Extension agent. In Kansas we were getting several questions regarding meatgoats, and I figured if I raised them myself I would become more knowledgable about the process and be of more help to others. I think my husband knew I just liked them though.

We have continued to expand, and we now own 60 does, 3 billies. I am in the process of kidding out 50 of the does now. You would think I would know better than to have them due in January, but unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention to the calendar when I placed the billies in with the does.

Monday, January 18, 2010

1st arrival

Number 21 was the first doe to kid. She has been really big, and hanging off by herself the last few days. She went into labor and had a large male kid. I knew she had to have more inside, but unfortunately her second baby was born dead. As she was delivering it, I knew something was wrong, because instead of the sac being bright red and blue, it was dull brown and had a bad smell to it. Once it was out, I was able to examine it and it appeared to have died several days ago as it was less developed than the live kid. I am watching her to be sure their aren't any others inside her. I checked and her birthing canal is open, so if there is another one she should be able to have it. It is just an odd situation. We are excited about the new baby though. He has nursed several times, and appears to be doing well. The doe is a good mom and is taking good care of him. My daughter took some photos and video that hopefully we can upload.

2 comments:

  1. What a cutie! Is that a new feeder? Sorry one was lost - rough way to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonie - thanks so much for your help.....we have Hippology Contest on Saturday but if the girls need help have them give me a call!!!

    ReplyDelete