How it all started.....

My two oldest daughters asked their dad if they could take meatgoats in 4-H. This is the man who told me soon after we were married that I could bring home all the animals I wanted to the farm as long as I didn't bring home any goats. He loves his dog, cattle, and horses.

Instead of directly saying "no", he told them to figure a breakeven on them, and if they did that he would support them. Let's just say he was surprised to come home and see the girl's "breakeven". They had spent the day hounding the managers at tractor supply and coop to get all their info. He is a man of his word, so two female goats came to live on the James farm.

Now these goats weren't supposed to be bred, but as it happens sometimes, one kidded out just before fair, and she was so cute I just lost my mind and we purchased another 26 does. Of course I justified my purchase as being necessary for me to be a good Kansas Agriculture Extension agent. In Kansas we were getting several questions regarding meatgoats, and I figured if I raised them myself I would become more knowledgable about the process and be of more help to others. I think my husband knew I just liked them though.

We have continued to expand, and we now own 60 does, 3 billies. I am in the process of kidding out 50 of the does now. You would think I would know better than to have them due in January, but unfortunately I didn't pay enough attention to the calendar when I placed the billies in with the does.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday

It is time to begin vaccinating the little guys. I was ready to begin this weekend, but with the yucky weather, I decided to put it off for a few days. We will vaccinate them with CD&T, 2 cc's given via injection just under the skin. The target area is just behind their front leg in the loose skin. Then in 2 weeks I will revaccinate with the same stuff, and then also band the little boys. We will take pictures, and try to walk everyone through the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment